You turn on your air conditioning unit and next thing you know, smoke and fire has erupted. How did this happen and why?
This sort of thing is normally caused by the motor overheating by several things like too high of voltage or tight bearing, and faulty wiring/electrical install. Few examples are listed below:
- Dirt collecting in and around the motor – dirt can act as insulation and heat up the motor
- Low voltage/high voltage – motors are designed to operate within a certain voltage range. Going too high or too low can cause the motor to overheat.
- Tight and worn motor bearings – lack of lubrication can cause this to happen. The bearings start to catch heat when it’s dry and eventually will catch fire.
- Incorrect fuses – just like the motor, fuses must match up to its proper voltage. If not, it will cause a voltage problem.
- Loose electrical connection – low voltage can cause this issue.
- Incorrect blower/condenser fan motor – if the installed motor’s power is too high or low, it can cause a fire due to it being stronger or weaker than what is recommended.
Any situation that involves a fire is very dangerous. That’s why having a properly maintained and installed air conditioning or heating unit needs to be done by a licensed, bonded, and insured HVAC contractor.
CALIFORNIA AIR CONDITIONING: takes pride in their professional and efficient service. Hiring the best technicians in HVAC, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating, California Air delivers the best and most reliable service. With over 30 years of experience, California Air specializes in both commercial and residential calls. There is no job too big, or too small.
CONTACT US California Air-Conditioning, Inc.
Email us: Here!.
25217 Narbonne Ave., Lomita CA 90717.
Phone: (310)530-0504 Fax:(310)530-4004 24/7 NUMBER: (310)505-5700.
Subscribe to our newsletter.